Food & Drink

Milk Proteins Rock!

As you may already know, milk is an excellent source of vitamins and nutrients, particularly protein. There are two main proteins found in milk: whey and casein. Whey is about 20 percent of the total protein found in milk while casein makes up the other 80 percent. Both proteins can be isolated from milk and processed into powder form. Casein and whey protein supplements are absorbed more efficiently by the body compared to milk, making them an ideal choice for anyone looking to build and maintain lean muscle mass.

Stock.Xchng

Read More…

What’s that Cup Of Coffee Really Doing for You?

(Guest Post)
Coffee is something that many of us enjoy from time to time. Some of us more than others. The effects of coffee can be considered one of natures greatest gifts. Gives us a boost of energy, a new-found alertness, and the motivation to get up and get going. Some of us simply like coffee to enjoy the taste, and warmth. So what’s in that cup of coffee that makes us feel that way? Many of us think there is no way there could be a health benefit, and some believe that coffee affects your health in a negative way. Read More…

What are Antioxidants, and How can They Benefit You?

(Guest post by Darlene Mills — Thanks Darlene!)
How do Antioxidants Work?

A lot of antioxidants are being offered in the market, all of which boast of making your health and lifestyle better. But for starters, what exactly are antioxidants? These are substances and nutrients found in the food we eat which can prevent or at least slow down oxidative damage to our bodies. More precisely, they inhibit the process of oxidation in our bodies. This produces free radicals which can then start chain reactions – when these occur in a cell, it can cause damage and even death. What antioxidants do is to stop these chain reactions by getting rid of free radical intermediates and inhibiting other oxidation reactions. In a nutshell (and in less complicated terms), these antioxidants act as ‘free radical scavengers’ which exterminate these free radicals and prevent any damage caused by them.

Stock.xchng

Read More…

Ideal Shakes for Weight Loss: Whey Protein Shakes

Of the many protein and meal replacement shakes on the market, one type seems to be superior over the rest in terms of weight loss. Whey protein shakes have been shown to help improve body composition and promote weight loss, according to the McKinley Healthy Center of the University of Illinois. It’s important to point out that consistent exercise and a healthy diet are also essential factors in losing weight; there’s no such thing as a miracle weight-loss shake.

Stock.xchng

Read More…

6 Foods that will Keep Your Skin Healthy

If you’re constantly stressing out about the maintenance of your skin, one of the best ways to keep your skin looking healthy is to closely monitor your diet. Sometimes our skin can look a lot more dry and tired than it actually is, especially if you drink a lot of caffeine or if you like to eat dried or salty foods. Whether you’re hoping to change your diet to lose some weight, or if you’re sick and tired of spending money on expensive products just to keep your skin looking healthy, here are six foods that will help give your skin a healthy glow…

source: stock.xchange

Read More…

How Long Does it take to Naturally Reduce Cholesterol Levels?

Cholesterol is an essential substance in your body required for good health, however, too much of it can lead to the buildup of arterial plaque. As arteries become blocked, the risk of heart attack increases. According to the American Heart Association (AHA), 75 percent of your total calorie level is manufactured within your own body while the remaining 25 percent enters your body in the food you eat. Dietary cholesterol is only found in animal products, such as dairy, eggs, meats and fish. You can improve your cholesterol levels surprisingly quickly using all-natural techniques. Read More…

Are You At Risk of a Caffeine Overdose?

Guest post from blogger Robert Milton. He blogs for Jollyville Dental, an Austin dentist, who specializes in cosmetic dental procedures and Invisalign braces.

Caffeine is the most widely used stimulant in the world. We start our days with a cup of coffee, maybe enjoy a soda with lunch, snack on some chocolate, reach for an energy drink by mid-afternoon, and if there’s a big project that evening—we might even take an over-the-counter caffeine pill to stay awake and get the job done. Everybody could use a boost sometimes, right? Read More…

Smoked Salmon for Health

Smoked salmon is a nutritious source of protein and other nutrients. According to Pamela D. Tom and Paul G. Olin of the Global Aquaculture Alliance (GAA) salmon is the second most consumed fish in the U.S., and it’s one of the richest sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acid offers several cardiovascular benefits, including lowering your risk of heart disease and improving your cholesterol levels. The most widely-available types of salmon in the U.S. include Atlantic and wild Pacific salmon varieties. Salmon can be prepared by hot or cold smoking the fish. Read More…

1 2 3 4 5 8  Scroll to top